6.29.2011

Just call me Susie Homemaker

Because not only am I a Stay-at-Home mom, I'm also a connoisseur at whipping up homemade delicacies. (feel free to gag at the pompous nature of that statement)

Here are some imitation 'goldfish':


I used this recipe - worked like a charm. But next time (cough, cough - this week) I'll make the crackers much bigger. I made them small so they'd be easy for Eva to pop in her mouth, but I'd rather save time on cutting, rolling, cooling, REPEAT and just break apart crackers when it's time to eat. If you're wondering how I made little round ones, I popped off the 'horn' of my turkey baster and used that end to cut out the dough ;)


After a couple rounds of CRCR (cutting, rolling, cooling, REPEAT) I just started cutting random triangles just so I could be DONE! But the little buggers were good. And relatively easy. Hence why I plan to torture myself bake these again.

Then I ventured into the land of graham crackers using this guide. Sorry, no pics - graham crackers enter this home and are soon nothing but a memory thanks to me Eva's love for them. After making the goldfish, these were cake, because you don't have to cut as much. I'm going to make some more this week, but only because I got lazy and left the last of the dough in the fridge, so really, it just needs to be popped in the oven. Next time I make it though, I'll use a different recipe OR will use the recommended ingredients. I used unbleached flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour, and light brown sugar instead of dark. But I also think the honey was somewhat overwhelming, so I'm going to probably use a recipe that contains molasses instead. 

In the midst of cracker heaven, I attempted this fro-yo recipe twice. And I will never try it again.

I will mention first of all, that I have made homemade ice cream several times before. My dad bought a homemade ice cream maker back when I was in high school. During the summer months, I'd make the base, he'd set up the ice cream maker, and together we made our family and friends very happy ;) Fast forward a few years and I got an electric Cuisinart ice cream maker (highly recommend!!!) And I've used it several times in the past to make ice cream and frozen drinks with no problem.

I think the first batch was ruined because the gelatin and sugar did not adequately dissolve into the milk - which meant that when I mixed in the yogurt and vanilla, it was all lumpy. I thought maybe the paddle in the ice cream maker would fix it. I was wrong. The texture and taste was OFF, to put it mildly. 

So I strictly follow the instructions for batch #2. I put it in the fridge to chill for a bit. I take it out to put it in the ice cream maker - it's the consistency of jello/thick pudding. Which meant that the gelatin had set! Again, I thought maybe the ice cream maker could fix this, and yet again I was wrong. The texture was okay, but the taste was still off.

The only thing I can think of if I were to try this again (and I'm not) is to use high quality yogurt, maybe even organic and to NOT chill the mixture before putting it in the ice cream maker. But I'm sorry Tom, I gave you a try and you let me down, horribly.

Oh, and I guess I'll add that last week I made the infamous Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls.




First of all, if you have not heard of the Pioneer Woman, can I ask the color of the rock that you have been under these past few years? Please check out her website now. No really, NOW.

Now that you've perused her site (you have perused her site, right?) don't you agree that it's just the bee's knees? (by the way, who came up with that expression? I've used it lots before but I'm now wondering what the heck is the origin...) I recommend that if you have all the ingredients for her cinnamon rolls (which you probably do) that you stop what you're doing and make them. Right now, the knowledge that I have another batch in the freezer that simply needs to be reheated and frosted is hurting my soul. 

That is all for now - I must go channel some June Cleaver at once!

2 comments:

  1. I guess I've been under a rock because I never heard of Pioneer Woman! I will add her website to my blog site. I've got a new blog drafted - will post later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been under a rock, my dear mother!

    ReplyDelete