3.31.2011

Cakeballs 101

Last week I made cake balls for the first time. If you've never heard of these little delicacies, head over to Bakerella's blog site. She is now 'internationally renown' for all her cakeball creations. But don't go to her website if you're short on time. Because once you get over there, I'm sure you'll keep clicking through the oodles of cuteness and creativity.

Anyhoo, I'm going to make these for Eva's birthday party, but I definitely didn't want to attempt them for the first time that weekend. I had been wanting to practice for a while, but due to my new healthy lifestyle I didn't want a bunch of cakeballs in the house. So when my local MOMS group planned a 'St. Patrick' family day last weekend, I knew that was the perfect opportunity.

So what do you think?

I know, I know - technically they're cakePOPS

What I learned about cakeballs:
  • They truly are better the next day. I tried one the night I made them and they were too 'wet'. The next day they had the perfect moist consistency.
  • If you want the inside to be white, you'll have to cut the 'crust' off of the cake, otherwise you'll have brown crumbs mixed in and it won't be perfectly white.
  • I made them a little bit on the big side. Quarter-sized is perfect.
  • Next time I will definitely make them with homemade frosting. I didn't want to go through the hassle of making it if they turned out to be gross, and the store-bought stuff was only $1 at the commissary. But it's too sweet for my liking, and I think they'd be better with frosting from scratch.
  • Although Bakerella is the undisputed cakeball queen, I found Pioneer Woman's 'how-to' guide much easier. (the funny thing is, Bakerella is featured in the lesson!)
Now that I'm a 'pro', lol I have a little twist planned for when I make them for the party. But you'll have to wait and see ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment