1.26.2011

Day 18-Something you regret

Ohhhhh, there are lots of these! I try to live my life without regrets, but I am human - it happens! But one thing I definitely regret is two-fold: I wish I had minored in Spanish and that I had studied abroad.

I took Spanish all four years in high school and for two semesters in college. I would have taken more classes, but I reached the maximum level for language courses - everything else was about art, history, culture, etc. Looking back, I wish I would have just taken the extra 2-3 classes I would have needed to finish a minor. I love the language and well as the cultures of Hispanics around the world. I wanted to study abroad over the summer after my freshman year, but my mom was NOT supportive of that. I'm sure the idea of me being in Mexico or Spain for 2 months was scary, so I don't fault her for being resistant. But I do fault myself for not pursuing it further or doing it during the other two summers of my college years. I was really good at the language, but was at the point that I needed to be immersed in the Spanish-speaking world to become fluent. Now, I'm so far removed from my classes and practice at speaking it, that I would have to start all over again.

I do plan on getting back into it eventually. I started taking classes again at the local university, but it was the summer before my wedding, and I had some work trips scheduled that made it pointless to continue. But one day my friends (or should I say 'Un dia, mis amigos'?) I WILL get back into the language I love, and I WILL be fluent!

No comments:

Post a Comment