1.26.2011

Gotta love bureaucracy

So E is 8 months old. I never received a social security card for her. Now I know I have let far too much time go by before looking into this. But once I started the process, I did my due diligence and it still wasn't enough.

After verifying with social security that a number was issued to her, I checked out the website. I called the social security Q&A line to make sure I had all necessary paperwork, IDs, etc. to get a replacement card in person.

Today I got up extra early to make sure I was at the office as soon as it opened. I had heard horror stories of people waiting for hours at the SS office, so I didn't want to chance it. Fortunately, I was 4th in line, and after about a 5 minute wait, I was called to the window.

I had my drivers license, E's birth certificate and immunization record - everything I needed, or so I thought. Apparently because E's shot record was hand written and not typed they could not accept it as proof of ID. I was also informed that health insurance cards could be used to prove her identification, as long as her name was on it. Well, I'm a new military wife, so we're now on TRI-care. When I called TRI-care a few weeks ago about getting our insurance card, I was informed that my military ID will suffice as proof of coverage and they don't issue cards. Sigh.

Now, had I known that 1) her shot records would not be accepted and 2) that my old health insurance card would have worked I would have gone to the office several weeks ago, when I was still on the plan with my former employer. Unfortunately, I'm way too busy this week tying up loose ends to make a trip to the DMV to get a state-ID for E, and then go back to the SS office to get a replacement card for her.

Fortunately, I did get a temporary print-out, so at least I have her SSN and it is a valid replacement card for 30 days. Unfortunately, I will eventually have to brave the SS office again, and pray that I have what I need. Hopefully they won't change any regulations between now and then - but we are talking about the government here...

No comments:

Post a Comment